Saturday, July 18, 2009

Deep Fried Couch Potatoes


Shaun left ESPN on the other night, and since this channel serves as fantastic white noise for me, I left it on while I went about my business. I don't hate sports, but ESPN is overkill for me, so I really pay closest attention to the commercials, which are usually very funny. Well, a commercial for a new Madden video game came on, and it caught my attention because I was just sure it would be hilarious. There was a group of gangly teenage boys competing against a group of sluggish adult men to attain whatever the prize is for winning a virtual football game. They were all outfitted in traditional wannabe attire (aka huge-mungous jersies of professional football players), so I was hanging on their every word. And then the commercial went on...and on...and on. And it wasn't funny. And it started to make me feel sad. Then realization dawned. This was not a commercial. This was an actual show where we could watch other people play a video game. I am more than a little out of the loop, so the rest of you may have seen this show before. It's entitled "Madden Nation." Appropriate. So, we are not just an overwhelmingly lazy nation. We are now lazy on top of lazy. We don't even want to play the video games anymore. We are content to just watch a group of losers play them for us. This may pose a threat to our nation's gastrointestinal health. We want to have cake, eat it, but really wish someone else would just digest it for us. It might be too difficult from our recumbent positions on our comfy couches. As my son's pediatrician pointed out, it's difficult to poop while lying down.

1 comment: