Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Comfort Index

I find meteorologists amusing. I am not poking fun at the profession itself. I have no idea what it takes to be a meteorologist, but I know I don't understand half of what they are talking about, so it must be some tough stuff. The thing that makes it all funny is how desperately each news station tries to make the weather report seem suspenseful and thrilling. It seems that the weather report makes or breaks which station each of us will choose. However, this must be a very difficult popularity contest. I would liken it to a chili cook-off. In the end, we are all getting chili, but there may be a few different ingredients sprinkled in each pot. Those ingredients will, of course, ultimately alter the entire chili experience. My favorite new "ingredient" included in one of our local news station's weather report is the "Comfort Index." This scale ranges from something like "Very Comfortable" to "Weeping and Gnashing of Teeth." They may use different terminology. At any rate, assuming the temperature, humidity, pollen count, mold spore count, rainfall predictions, and our approximate distance from any tropical disturbances is not enough to help us decide how comfortable we may be on a given day, this station is boldly stepping out and predicting it for us. It's a thesis statement for the entire weather portion of each evening's broadcast. Just like that, they managed to reduce their pot of chili to only beans. The irony to me is that this new predictor of my comfort level eliminates my need for any of the other jibber jabber about the high and low pressure systems, cold and warm fronts, or record lows and highs. Why do I really need to watch and try to comprehend all of the other factors involved in tomorrow's weather? All I'm really after is how comfortable I will be in the coming days and weeks. Careful, careful meteorologists. This new, watered-down approach to weather forecasting may leave the sports guy looking like the spiciest pot of chili. And that could cause meterologists everywhere to feel a little uncomfortable.

6 comments:

  1. You have nailed it! Oh and heaven forbid there is a hurricane. I heard one "weatherman" talk about how exciting the hurricane was...yea, ask those people on the coast how exciting it is!
    And why are they called meteorologists and they study weather and not meteors? Shouldnt they be called weatherologists?

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post, Heather. This just makes me think that if a weatherman could actually predict the weather and deliver what I need to know then I would instantly deem him the best of the best. I do feel bad for Greg Fishel, Skip Watters, Al Roker, and all of the meteorologist community for the pressure that is put on nerds to be tv stars. Some producer somewhere must be giving commission for any successful attempt to make any of the other anchors laugh. I think I'll start offering a bonus too, if they can accurately predict more than just the names of the days in the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. about what Phil said, maybe they are called meteorologists because they are studying the meteors. Maybe someone needs to tell them they are supposed to study the weather. All this could be just blamed on assumptions of the title. it's not their fault their minds are in outer space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, now I know for sure that I picked the correct profession....

    ReplyDelete
  5. and I don't see you enjoying now and later candy...it takes too "dagum long" to chew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ariel, I would watch your forecast each and every day and never complain about it. :) And I can't stand Now and Laters. How have they made a profit out of that junk being in your teeth two hours after you started working on it?

    ReplyDelete