Friday, October 2, 2009

Poor Rainbow Fish

Have you read the children's book Rainbow Fish? It's one of Seth's favorites. I personally couldn't care less for the story. The moral of the story is that you will be happier in life if you share. I agree wholeheartedly with that lesson. I think it's very commendable that the Rainbow Fish gave away all but one of its most prized possessions. However, my problem is with the other fish in the ocean. They were right to shun the Rainbow Fish when he (Is it a he? I'll have to go back and look.) was swimming haughtily through the ocean, feeling awfully proud of his beautiful scales. I'm always telling Seth that no one will want to be your friend if you are mean and selfish. Rainbow Fish proves this point nicely with his attitude at the beginning of the story. I am proud to report that he does reach a place in his life where he feels lonely and regretful about the way he has treated the other fish. I've often hoped as I turned my other cheek that someone would come to regret their actions towards me. Who hasn't? This is what makes our forgiveness so different from Christ's. I digress. So, at this turning point in the story, Rainbow Fish is given some sound advice from the "wise octopus" that he should give away some of his scales in order to be happy. All true. All wise. Shortly after that, Rainbow Fish is given the chance to act on this advice, and he reluctantly gives away the tiniest of his shimmery scales to the little blue fish that he turned away early in the story. When he sees the joy that he has brought the little fish, he recognizes the peace and warmth the octopus told him he would feel. It doesn't take long for word to spread that he gave away a scale to the little blue fish. What happens next? Every one of those fish come shooting through the water like sharks at a feeding frenzy to get one for themselves. "What's this? Rainbow Fish is sharing? Let's get ours!" Sure enough, Rainbow Fish is soon rid of all but one of his scales. He seems happy at the end to have gained friends, but I pity him somewhat. He gave all that he cared about to a bunch of greedy fish. Are these the sort of friends he was after? It reminds me of the times in school when I pulled out a stick of gum in the presence of others. Or, God forbid, a bag of some sort of hard candy. Suddenly, everyone was my friend. No good feeling comes from giving away to people who are not grateful, genuine, or in need. I realize that this makes me sound selfish, so let me clarify. I love to share with my friends. I love to share with people that are not my friends. I think Rainbow Fish had the right idea. I just wish he had been given the opportunity to volunteer the scales. That poor fish was taken advantage of, and I am left wondering just how long those fish were his friends once he no longer had anything to give them. I will have to find consolation in the hope that the wise octopus, seeing that he needed a true friend who might understand his position, referred him to the boy who gave a mouse a cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment